Do you know why we celebrate Pride Month in June?
Pride Month commemorates the Stonewall Uprising of 1969. What started as a police raid at one of the most popular gay bars in New York City turned into a catalyst for the gay rights movement. In the years and decades that followed, organizations like Human Rights Campaign, GLAAD and PFLAG have worked relentlessly to end discrimination against the LGBTQ community and to advocate for equality.
At PulteGroup, our support for our LGBTQ colleagues, neighbors and customers is more than just words. Turning commitment into action, PulteGroup made a significant leap in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index, the national benchmarking tool on corporate policies, practices and benefits pertinent to LGBTQ employees, scoring an 85 out of a possible 100 points. Through the help of our Diversity Board and our LGBTQ colleagues, we will continue to enhance our policies, training and benefits to ensure we are a workplace of choice for all our colleagues, regardless of who they love, the color of their skin, their country of origin or their gender.
As we celebrate Pride Month, we are reminded of the many ways we can be allies for our colleagues, including:
- Learn about the adversity the LGBTQ community has faced and the LGBTQ leaders who helped advance the cause
- Use inclusive language to make all feel heard and appreciated
- Support the LGBTQ community by getting involved with groups or organizations as an ally
- Attend pride celebrations and other LGBTQ events
- Speak up or intervene when anti-LGBTQ comments or actions are made
What are other ways you suggest we can be better allies to the LGBTQ community? Let us know in the comments, along with any ways you plan to recognize Pride month in your community.
Stay tuned for other ways Pulte will be celebrating Pride Month!